Moving to Down Under?
UTS supports you!

 UTS advises you on the preparations, clarifies your issues regarding VISA, immigration as well as immigration regulations and takes over the organisation of your move to Australia.

With a population under 25 million, Australia is much smaller than Germany, but with almost 7.7 million square kilometres, it is far bigger in territory.

In 2021, almost 1,200 Germans emigrated to Australia, but almost 1,100 also returned home. In total, more than 35,000 Germans have emigrated Down Under in the last 10 years - making Australia one of the most attractive emigration destinations for Europeans. And not without reason: the consistently mild climate, a western culture, the serenity of the Australians as well as the extremely stable economy attract numerous people from year to year. It is not for nothing that Melbourne has been named the world's most liveable city several times!

Since Australia is literally at the other world's end, emigration should be planned extremely thoroughly to ensure a trouble-free process. Your UTS experts are the right partners for this and will accompany you step by step to your new home.

Your contact person
Mrs. Christine Andriollo

International removals

Telefon Icon+49 (0)69 2445049-35


You want to save money?
Are you flexible with your schedule?

Share the transport costs with other UTS customers - safe, environmentally friendly, cost-effective.

The overseas move by consolidated container is the clever alternative for a move volume of 1 - 10 cbm (e.g. 1 - room flat).

We combine the removal goods from different customers in one consolidated container.

This service reduces both costs and CO2. Great for you and the environment.

More information>>

container teaser

All topics at a glance:

Request & callback services

Nachricht senden >>

Online tour

Termin vereinbaren >>

Our services

  • Individual requirements
  • Individual offers
  • Pre-inspection
  • Delivery & unpacking on site
  • Dismantling, packing & loading

  • Transport by truck

  • Customs clearance

  • Storage & warehousing

  • Transport insurance


Transfer times to Sydney & Melbourne

Export customs clearance in Bremerhaven, DE //
Hamburg, DE 1 - 2 days
49 sea days
Import clearance in Australia 6 days

Note: The information on the respective transfer times is only for rough orientation and depends on shipping capacities, changes in the regulations of the departure and destination country, the current political situation in the departure and destination country, the infrastructure of the departure and destination country as well as the availability of the correct documents for clearance.

uts umzuege australien umzug transferzeiten


Visa is a must

We recommend that you find out about the entry and residence requirements at the Australian Embassy as early as possible. The visa system in Australia is generally very complex. Therefore, we have already prepared a summary of the most important points for you:

The general question: Do I need a visa?

German citizens need a visa or an ETA to enter Australia.

The application must be made before the start of the journey. It is not possible to apply for a visa at a later date.

The following visa types are available for short-term visits (up to 1 year):

eVisitor (Subclass 651)

This visa is suitable for business and tourism visitors from Germany and other EU member states. The visa is valid for 12 months and entitles the holder to stay in Australia for a maximum of 3 months at one time.

The application is made online and is free of charge. Applicants will be notified of the successful issuance of the eVisitor visa by email.

The eVisitor visa is stored electronically at border posts and other offices.

Electronic Travel Authority ETA
(Subclass 601)

The Electronic Travel Authority, ETA for short, can still be applied for. The entry requirements correspond to those of the eVisitor visa, which was newly introduced and has replaced the ETA visa. The ETA can be applied via the tour operator or directly at the airlines. The fee is a flat rate of AUD 20 plus any fees charged by the service provider.

For Germans who want to live and work in Australia, there are basically only two ways to get a work permit, because Australia's immigration policy is extremely strict. Either you have sufficient qualifications that are currently in demand in Australia, or you receive an official invitation from a company based in Australia.

The following professions are currently in high demand in Australia:

  • Doctors, nurses
  • Architects, engineers and construction managers
  • IT specialists
  • Craftsmen, e.g. electricians and car mechanics, roofers, installers, painters.

To live and work permanently in Australia, you need an unrestricted residence and work permit, also called permanent residence.

To be granted permanent residence, at least one of the following conditions must be met:

uts umzuege australien umzug einreisebestimmmungen

How do I apply for Australian citizenship?

Anyone who has spent at least four years in Australia as a "permanent resident" can apply for Australian citizenship.

For more information on visa requirements, please contact the Australian Department of Immigration and Border Security or the Australian Embassy in Berlin.


Moving to Australia with your pet

Do you plan to move to Australia with your pet? No problem for UTS. In addition to a smooth and safe transport, we also take care of all the necessary formalities. So your pet will also arrive safely at its new destination.

Moving with pets can be quite complicated in some cases, as many things need to be considered: What preparations need to be made before the move? Are there any regulations for entry? What should be kept in mind if my pet is travelling by plane? UTS gives you the answers. Here you can read about many important aspects of moving with animals.

Regulations & tips for entry to Australia

If you want to emigrate to Australia with your pet, you should schedule enough preparation time (approx. 7 months). Also note that the journey is quite expensive. With vaccinations, veterinary examinations, the purchase of a transport box and the quarantine in Australia, about 3500 Euros per pet are needed.

Requirements & important steps

  • Microchip
  • Vaccination against rabies
  • Rabies antibody detection (RNATT) (Important: The result is required in English and the microchip number should be recognisable)
  • Certification of the rabies blood test by the veterinary office
  • Application for Import Permit (Must be applied for online at least 42 days prior to import)
  • Booking of the quarantine station in Australia
  • Treatment against internal and external parasites
  • Examination by the veterinarian in the period of 5 days before departure
uts germany umzug australien tiere

As the regulations for the pet entry in Australia are quite complex and there may also be tightened restrictions on entry for certain breeds, you can get more information on the homepage of the Australian government.


For your entry into Australia

To make your move to Australia as trouble-free and comfortable as possible, it is important that you find out about and comply with import regulations in advance.

Customs regulations in Australia are quite complex. The individual regulations depend on the respective cities or the duration of your stay. We therefore recommend that you speak to one of our qualified UTS staff to provide you with tailored information and the best possible advice.

The following guidelines should generally be considered:

  • The current Customs form for the entry of unaccompanied personal effects (Form B534) can be downloaded from the Australian Customs website. It must be completed in full English by the owner of the removal goods.
  • Scanned copies are valid in all states, but electronic signatures are not accepted.
  • All signatures required to release the customs form must match the signature from the passport. Any changes must have been approved.
  • The inventory list must be in English.
  • Self-packed moving goods must be listed in English by the owner.
  • A copy of the owner's ID page and visa is mandatory.
  • NOTE: A copy of the owner's passport (completing B534) is required. Copies of other persons travelling with the owner are not required.
  • A visa grant letter may also need to be enclosed.
  • The owner's full name and Australian residential address must be provided. Please note that a PO Box or business address is not acceptable.
  • If the owner of the removal goods last resided in Australia for more than 12 months, it may be necessary to clear the shipment through formal customs clearance.

For more information, visit the Australian Customs website.

Regulations on importing food, medicines, alcohol or tobacco are listed there.

We also recommend that you download the Australia Country Guide from the IAM website. There you will also find important information on import regulations in Australia.

If you have any further questions or individual requests, our qualified UTS team will be happy to assist you at any time.


Health Insurance

All about the health system

Australia has a national health insurance system that all Australian citizens can use free of charge. However, the government health insurance only covers basic services. It is therefore advisable to take out private health insurance or to use long-term travel insurance.

Pension and old-age provision

Germany and Australia have concluded a social security agreement.

This means that pension entitlements from the respective other country are recognised and credited. You can get more information on this topic from the German Pension Insurance.

The pension system in Australia is based on two pillars. Every Australian resident with a permanent residence permit is entitled to the Australian state "Age Pension".

In addition, there is a private pension insurance, the "Superannuation". This is currently 9.5% of gross income and is paid by the employer. The beneficiary is free to decide how and for what he wants to use the money.

uts umzuege australien umzug krankenversicherung



Social security

The Australian tax system is - unlike in many European countries - tax-funded, which means that there are no separately payable social security contributions. However, this does not mean that everyone who pays taxes is also insured. Only those who have been in the country for at least two years and are in possession of a permanent residence permit are entitled to social benefits. Otherwise, one cannot claim benefits such as unemployment assistance, housing benefit, child or single-parent benefit and all types of pensions.

As a rule, benefits are significantly lower than in Central Europe. Therefore, we recommend that you take out additional private insurance if you plan to settle permanently in Australia.

If you have any further questions on the subject of pensions, old-age provision and social security, our qualified team will be happy to help you.


Can I drive in Australia with my German driver's licence?

You can drive in Australia in conjunction with an international driving licence. However, the German driving licence is only valid for 3 months. After that, you will need to apply for an Australian driver's licence. To obtain this, you will usually be subjected to an eye test. Be sure to note that the regulations may differ depending on the state.

What to look out for when taking your car with you

You must have owned your car for at least 6 months in order to import it tax and duty free.
Before being released by customs, your car must be cleared by the "Quarantine and Inspection Service" - the car must also be thoroughly cleaned before departure.
In addition to compulsory insurance (Compulsory Third Party CTP Insurance), we recommend that you take out "Third Party Property Insurance". This covers property damage that could be caused by your car.

You can find more information on the homepage of the Australian government.


Frequently asked questions

Below we have put together some of the most frequently asked questions about the formalities involved in moving to Australia. For further information, please don't hesitate to contact your UTS manager at any time.

Request & callback services

Nachricht senden >>

Online tour

Termin vereinbaren >>


Culture and language

The Australian population can be divided as follows: Almost 92% of Australia's inhabitants are of European descent and 7% of Asian origin. The British and Irish in particular, but also many Italians and also Germans, ensure that the country is very European in character these days. This is also reflected in the western lifestyle, which is particularly present in the metropolises of Sydney and Melbourne. Asian immigrants come mainly from India, China and Vietnam. Almost 80% of all inhabitants speak Australian English.

With almost 90%, the majority of the population lives in the large cities, especially near the coast. There, the so-called Gold Coast with its Surfer's Paradise is a dream destination for every emigrant.

But many people have also settled in the greater Perth area or on Tasmania, the island that belongs to Australia.

The core of the country, the Outback, on the other hand, is almost deserted. The extreme heat and the long periods of drought make life in the outback a challenge.

uts umzuege australien umzug kultur und sprache


The economic situation and the employment market

Great opportunities

Around 75% of people in Australia now work in the service sector: finance, real estate, but also the growing demand in e-commerce and biotechnology make it possible to get a job in Australia. According to a study by the private bank HSBC, Australia even ranked 6th out of 45 countries surveyed as the best country for expatriates.

The greatest opportunities for employment for expats can be found above all in the large metropolises such as Melbourne or Sydney. But Canberra and Brisbane are also becoming increasingly attractive.

Furthermore, mining and agriculture still play a major role, as many raw materials such as coal, gold and iron ore are still among the main exports.

The good news is that the unemployment rate is at a very low level, only 4% in 2022. The upswing in Australia is currently providing almost full employment and plenty of job vacancies.

With training and work experience in trades, as a baker, hairdresser, nurse or engineer, you have a good chance of finding a job in Australia, because there is currently an acute shortage of skilled workers in these professions.

uts umzuege australien umzug arebitsmarkt

A prerequisite for working in Australia is a very good knowledge of English. Without it, it will be difficult to communicate in everyday life and at work. If necessary, it is worth taking a language course before moving to Australia. Of course, many courses are offered locally to improve your English skills.

If you have any questions in this regard, our qualified UTS team will be happy to assist you at any time.


Income tax

Income up to (AUD) = Tax

  • 18.200 = -
  • 37,000 = 19 cents per AUD
  • 90,000 = 3,572 AUD + 32.5 cents per AUD over 37,000
  • 180,000 = 20,797 AUD + 37 cents per AUD over 90,000
  • More than 180,000 = 54,097 AUD + 45 cents per AUD over 180,000

* 1 AUD = 0.67€ (as of September 2022)

Anyone earning less than just under €11,270 a year is exempt from income tax.

The top tax rate is a flat rate of €33,500 plus 45 cents for each additional AUD.


  1. Annual income: 200,000 AUD
  2. Taxes: 54,097 AUD + (0.45x20,000 AUD) = 63,097 AUD

Our qualified UTS team will be happy to provide you with further information. Please contact us!


Rental prices

Living in Australia can be expensive

On average, you pay almost 30% more for accommodation than in Germany.

* (as of 2022) Please note that these are only average values and that there can always be deviations due to seasonal factors.

Average rental prices
in Sydney

  • 1-bedroom flat
    in the city centre: approx. 1,600€
  • 1-bedroom flat
    outside the city centre: approx. 1.200€
  • 3-room flat
    in the city centre: approx. 3.200€
  • 3-room flat
    outside the city centre: ca. 2.100€

Average rental prices
in Melbourne

  • 1-bedroom flat
    in the city centre: approx. 1.200€
  • 1-bedroom flat
    outside the city centre: approx. 1000€
  • 3-room flat
    in the city centre: ca. 2.300€
  • 3-room flat
    outside the city centre: approx. 1.500€

Average rental prices
in Brisbane

  • 1-bedroom flat
    in the city centre: approx. 1.300€
  • 1-bedroom flat
    outside the city centre: approx. 1000€
  • 3-room flat
    in the city centre: ca. 2.100€
  • 3-room flat
    outside the city centre: approx. 1.400€

Average rental prices
in Adelaide

  • 1-bedroom flat
    in the city centre: approx. 1.100€
  • 1-bedroom flat
    outside the city centre: approx. 800€
  • 3-room flat
    in the city centre: ca. 2.100€
  • 3-room flat
    outside the city centre: approx. 1.400€

Average rental prices
in Canberra

  • 1-bedroom flat
    in the city centre: approx. 1.300€
  • 1-bedroom flat
    outside the city centre: approx. 1.100€
  • 3-room flat
    in the city centre: approx. 2.400€
  • 3-room flat
    outside the city centre: approx. 1.600€

Average rental prices
on the Gold Coast

  • 1-bedroom flat
    in the city centre: approx. 1,400€
  • 1-bedroom flat
    outside the city centre: approx. 1.200€
  • 3-room flat
    in the city centre: approx. 2.400€
  • 3-room flat
    outside the city centre: approx. 1.600€

Average rental prices
in Darwin

  • 1-room flat
    in the city centre: approx. 1.400€
  • 1-bedroom flat
    outside the city centre: approx. 600€
  • 3-room flat
    in the city centre: ca. 2.300€
  • 3-room flat
    outside the city centre: approx. 1.900€

Average rental prices
in Perth

  • 1-bedroom flat
    in the city centre: approx. 1.200€
  • 1-bedroom flat
    outside the city centre: approx. 900€
  • 3-room flat
    in the city centre: ca. 2.000€
  • 3-room flat
    outside the city centre: approx. 1.400€

Food prices

Average food prices

  • 1l milk - approx. 1,10€
  • 500g bread - approx. 1,90€
  • 1kg rice - approx. 1,80€
  • 12 eggs - approx. 3,30€
  • 1kg cheese - approx. 7,50€
  •  0,5l beer - ca. 3,90€
  •  20 cigarettes - approx. 25€
uts umzuege australien umzug lebensmittelpreise

Food is more expensive on average than in Germany, and rents are also significantly higher, although there are of course big differences between the big cities and the countryside. Leisure activities such as a visit to the cinema also cost a little more than in this country, at just under €12. A visit to a simple restaurant is possible from 14€. Alcohol and tobacco in particular are highly taxed, so a half-litre of beer in a bar costs at least €5.

So when moving to Australia, you should expect extra costs in terms of living expenses. On average, living in Australia is almost 10% more expensive than in Germany.

If you have any further questions, your UTS expert will be happy to assist you. We look forward to your request

Pfeil Icon